Wow what an entertaining forwards and backwards contest! FIVE lead adjustments, NINE performs of 20+ yards, blocked punts, LONG punt/kick returns known as again resulting from penalties, double-reverses with a landing cross to Gebbia and so on and so on. This sport had all of it! Finally it got here all the way down to the ultimate possession the place Akili Arnold received to Cal quarterback Chase Garbers deflecting his cross organising John McCartan for a game-winning interception. Right here’s how the Beavers received their first win of the season, 31-27 in Reser Stadium.
Identical to final week Oregon State had an unimaginable begin. On the primary play from scrimmage Jermar Jefferson burst by the road of scrimmage and pace to the endzone for a 75-yard landing run.
Earlier than the sport Cal introduced a bunch of gamers had been inactive (together with three beginning offensive lineman, additionally their beginning middle was injured within the first half). That information didn’t cease Chase Garbers and his favourite receiver Kekoa Crawford from tearing up the Beavers secondary. Cal answered instantly with a pleasant landing drive. Just a few possessions later after a foul Cal punt Gebbia hit Teagan Quitorano for a 35-yard landing cross. Outdoors of these two performs the Oregon State offense was actually dangerous within the first half. Cal took a 20-14 lead into halftime after drilling an extended area objective. However the Beavers had been fortunate to not be down by double-digits.
Oregon State’s protection tightened up within the second half. Cal’s solely landing within the second half got here after two defensive cross interference calls within the endzone that saved Golden Bears drive transferring. With that landing Cal took a 27-24 benefit and Oregon State’s offense appeared like they may be out of juice. Fortunately soccer is performed in three phases and Jesiah Irish and the particular groups unit got here up HUGE with a sport altering blocked punt!
The blocked punt result in a Gebbia dashing landing. Oh by the best way Gebbia had a passing, dashing and receiving landing on this sport. What number of Oregon State QBs can say that? Simply take a look at this play to get Tristian Gebbia open for a landing catch.
In any case the blocked punt wasn’t fairly sufficient to seal the victory as Cal was on an 11-play, 69-yard drive with the sport successful landing of their grasp. That’s till Akili Arnold/John McCartan’s enormous performs to stress Garbers, get a hand on the cross and snag the sport successful interception. Jermar Jefferson added a 65-yard run within the remaining minute for good measure and the Beavers celebrated their first win of 2020.
- Jermar Jefferson ended the sport with 196 yards and a landing. However for those who take away his two lengthy runs Cal bottled him up fairly properly.
- Who deserves the sport ball? Jefferson? Gebbia? Irish? Arnold? McCartan? My vote is Jesiah Irish for the blocked punt.
- Cal was basically lacking 80% of their beginning offensive line and different gamers on offense; however they nonetheless managed 439 yards of offense. I’m prepared for the Beaver protection to take a leap ahead, however I haven’t seen it but.
- Omar Speights and Avery Roberts proceed to be vivid spots on protection.
- Hamilcar Rashed, Simon Sandberg and Jaydon Grant all appeared to undergo accidents. I don’t assume any of them are severe, however these are three of the highest gamers on protection for the Beavs.
- At one level the FS1 crew highlighted a stat that the Beavers have unsuccessfully stopped 11 straight opposing 4th downs when the opponents select to go for it. Fortunately the reverse-jinx labored because the Beavers lastly stopped Cal.
- General Cal had far more yards, first downs and so they dominated in time of possession. Good job by the Beavers to discover a method to win this soccer sport.
- It’s formally Civil Battle week (or I don’t know what we’re calling it). The Beavers tackle the Geese on Friday at 4:00 pm. The Geese simply barely squeaked by UCLA with out their beginning QB. Go Beavers!