- Earlier this 12 months, Barbados launched a brand new visa for distant staff known as the Welcome Stamp, which prices $2,000 and means that you can spend a 12 months on the Caribbean island.
- About 2,800 folks, primarily from the US, Canada, and the UK, have taken it up to date, however many extra have arrived to do the identical factor on vacationer visas lasting as much as six months.
- I went to Barbados to fulfill a few of the folks settling into Barbados’ burgeoning group of digital nomads.
- They stated Barbados appealed to them with its pleasant ambiance, lovely seashores, and decrease variety of COVID-19 instances, although it is value noting the coronavirus remains to be current within the nation.
- Go to Insider’s homepage for extra tales.
Like many different locations hit arduous by the pandemic, Barbados — which relied on tourism for an estimated 60-80% of its earnings — has discovered a option to entice vacationers with a particular visa for distant staff.
Launched on July 18, the Barbados Welcome Stamp Visa requires candidates to fill out a web-based kind, add their beginning certificates, verify their wage (which have to be over $50,000), and pay a $2,000 price.
The visa is well-liked to date. By the tip of October, Barbados had obtained 1,693 purposes for the Welcome Stamp (a mixture of teams and people), accounting for two,796 folks in whole, the Barbados Tourism and Advertising staff advised Insider. The highest nation for purposes is the US (675), adopted by Canada (283), and the UK (231), although they arrive from all around the world.
In the meantime, others arrive in Barbados on vacationer visas to work remotely there for as much as six months at a time.
Final month, I traveled to Barbados (following the required security protocol and quarantining on arrival) to fulfill a few of the nation’s new digital nomads, from a Canadian schoolteacher to an lawyer from New York Metropolis.
Most have been lured by Barbados’ seashores and low variety of coronavirus instances — the nation has had 250 coronavirus instances and 7 associated deaths thus far, in keeping with Johns Hopkins College & Drugs — whereas many People wished to flee tensions at house. And quite a lot of plan to remain.
Editor’s observe: The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention warns that “journey will increase your probability of getting and spreading COVID-19.”