Guillaume Laidet beforehand based, developed, then bought William L. 1985, and shortly moved on to his subsequent enterprise, resurrecting the model Nivada Grenchen.
The place are you based mostly?
I’m based mostly in Paris and supposedly touring so much in Switzerland and Asia, however proper now with this loopy interval, I’m primarily within the South West of France close to to the ocean.
Have you ever ever used Kickstarter or crowdfunding to finance Nivada Grenchen?
Nope, Nivada Grenchen’s enterprise mannequin and technique are to make use of solely our web site and only a few different methods to distribute the watches (solely Hodinkee for now) – with a purpose to management the gross sales and keep away from any “gray” market. Furthermore, our technique is to supply tremendous aggressive costs so arduous to provide margin to a 3rd occasion.
Does your organization use a PR company or have a PR supervisor?
Sure, I’m the PR supervisor too! Not less than for now.
How efficient do you discover Fb and Instagram to be in advertising and marketing Nivada Grenchen?
Instagram has been a tremendous instrument for Nivada Grenchen, from the beginning I had the prospect to obtain many constructive feedbacks and nice concepts from the #watchfam group. I really assume the success of Nivada is coming from this clear trade between the watch collectors and our group. I imply it’s a fairly easy course of you intend concepts you assume are good and also you get immediately the reply and you recognize if you’re heading in the right direction or not. Typically you’re on the goal and generally, and generally, ahaha not likely. One of the best instance is the motion alternative, at first, I used to be pondering “okay individuals desire computerized” (I do personally) and the 1 mm distinction of thickness is peanuts, proper? However ultimately, we’re promoting 85% of the handbook motion. With out that suggestions, we’d have misplaced 85% of our enterprise, interval.
Do you favor IG or FB?
IG for certain however I must spend extra time on FB as there are a lot of Fb watch-addicted teams.
Are you engaged on every other manufacturers proper now?
Sure, I’m engaged on one other tremendous thrilling undertaking which is Excelsior Park. I’ve discovered a method to take it again from Tourneau who was doing “nothing” with it. I’ve at all times beloved these tremendous clear and traditional chronograph dials, we’ve began to speak on Instagram, the web site is coming quickly, and extra necessary the prototypes will likely be prepared within the subsequent weeks and I actually can’t wait to place them on my wrist to indicate that on IG, I’ll preserve you up to date on that for certain!
What are your ideas on restricted editions as a advertising and marketing technique?
Ahaha it’s a tremendous difficult query, I believe it must be Actually Ltd version and never one other boutique 5,000 items restricted version. For Nivada Grenchen I didn’t need to have any of the core collections marketed as restricted editions as a result of I would like anyone to have the ability to get it and really don’t like the thought to attempt to idiot our group so it must be for actual. We are going to make only a few restricted editions on Nivada, the primary one is the Paul Newman restricted version however actually restricted as a result of we’ve solely 50 Valjoux 23 actions out there!
So you’re promoting direct to client, with no paid Public Relations skilled or company, you don’t use Kickstarter, and your sole retailer is Hodinkee? How is that this working thus far?!
Sure precisely, we’ve a superb community of publications who supported the launch and constructed a robust group on Instagram and emails that, for instance, has enabled us to pre-sell 50 Valjoux 23 re-edition at $5K+ per piece with none promoting or official PR. We’re doing 90% of our gross sales on the web site, and the remaining 10% through Hodinkee.
As a profitable entrepreneur that developed after which bought the watch firm William L. 1985, and now co-owns Nivada Grenchen and others, are you able to give readers any suggestions?
Ahaha profitable, it relies on which requirements you’re specializing in, to be trustworthy, I had actually arduous occasions with William L during the last 2 years, the retail and distribution enterprise has been a extremely arduous expertise and I made a number of errors.
However due to these errors, I’ve discovered so much too. I can inform you I can’t make the identical errors with Nivada Grenchen and Excelsior Park. I believe the actual success is to work on one thing you actually like and luxuriate in and that’s what I do proper now:)